The spring session has already started, but I highly recommend taking a future session of this course. It is great! More to come about what I’m soaking up.
Thanks to Creative Capacity Fund for funding my attendance.
CounterPULSE Presents Boot Camp for Artists
with Jessica Robinson Love
Intensive skills for raising money and attention
Whether you’re a choreographer who’s self-producing for the first time, a director who’s ready to expand your company, an experienced artist looking to brush up on skills, or a performer looking to get a part-time job in arts administration, this crash course will give you the skills you need to kick-start your career.
The bootcamp includes 18 hours of instruction, plus in-person presentations by local editors and funders. Your art deserves the investment!
Session I– Getting the Money– April 11th & 18th
(Grantwriting & Fundraising)
- How to talk about your own work so that you can raise money for
- How to talk to funders and find grants that are appropriate for
- Step-by-step guidance on grantwriting, including creating a budget,
getting letters of recommendation, and selecting work samples.
- Overcoming your fear of the Individual Donor Letter.
- How to throw a successful fundraising event.
- Finish this session with a completed Zellerbach proposal and samples
of successful grant proposals.
Session II—Getting Attention (Marketing & Publicity)– April 25th & May 2nd
- Secrets to a great press release.
- When to send out your press release and who to send it to.
- Who to call, when to call them, and when to leave them alone.
- Creating inexpensive and beautiful posters and postcards.
- Effective word-of-mouth publicity and creative marketing.
- Putting together a press kit and a press file.
- Finish this session with a completed press release and samples of
successful press releases.
Session III—The Show (Production)– May 9th & 16th
- How to find a venue, read a contract, and get a good deal.
- Building a dream production team and a realistic budget.
- How to talk to technicians and understand basic lighting design.
- How to invite presenters and other “important people”
to your show.
- Options for effectively handling tickets, reservations and house
- Overall career planning strategies for artists.
- Finish this session with a working understanding of a theater and
sample contracts, timelines, light plots, and more.
Cost: $250 for the series ($200 for CounterPULSE, Intersection & Dancers’ Group Fiscal Sponsees)